Skip to main content

Community College

California Community Colleges 

It is the recommendation of the Tesoro Guidance Office that any student who plans to attend a community college should meet with their Academic Advisor to establish goals and complete a plan of action to meet those goals.  It is also recommended that a student meet with a counselor at the community college upon matriculation to discuss goals for completing certificate programs, completing an Associates Degree, or participating in the TRANSFER program to a four year university.

Who can attend a Community College?

A community college is a good choice for anyone who may want to attend a four-year school later but who is not yet academically, personally or economically ready to begin study at a university.  To be eligible to attend a community college, one must be 18 years of age, or possess a high school diploma.  In the California Community Colleges, you can work toward an associate (two-year) degree in hundreds of academic and technical fields (which will enable you to transfer to a college or university to complete a baccalaureate degree); or, you can complete a one - or two-year training or certificate program in a choice of occupational fields, various health professions, and/or high-technology job fields.

What if I want to Persue a Four-year Bachelor's Degree but attend a Community College First?

All community colleges offer courses that meet the lower-division (first two years) of a four-year college or university.  Counselors in transfer centers and counseling offices at the community colleges can help you plan your community college program to make sure that the courses you select are transferrable.  You should also check the requirements of the college or university to which you plan to transfer, especially in your major subject.  Many community colleges offer written transfer guarantee programs to specific universities.  This information can be found in the community college transfer center or counseling center.

Local Community College Links


Saddleback College


Irvine Valley College

  • K - 12 Special Admission Students The term "special admissions" applies to students who are currently enrolled in grades K-12. These students may enroll in IVC courses on a space available basis. As required by state law, K-12 students will receive a low priority registration time so as to not displace regularly admitted students.


Orange Coast College


Santiago Canyon College


Other Helpful Links

California Community Colleges Statewide


California Community College Transfer Programs 


Help with paying for Community College


Community College Resources